India is a land of vast distances and stunning natural beauty, with railway travel one of the best ways to see it all. Travel with dog in train In India is not only fun and rewarding, but also very safe – provided you know the process, prepare well, and take some important precautions.
People in India have always enjoyed travelling with their pets. Some of the country’s most popular tourist destinations are home to many pet-friendly hotels and resorts. India’s vast railway network connects lots of these places and makes travelling with pets in train easy, fun, and a memorable experience.
But, pet travel by train in India is not without its share of challenges and nuances. There is paperwork involved and not everything is automated in terms of pet train ticket booking. It requires at least one visit to the railway station before the date of travel. We took a train trip with our pet dog recently, and struggled to get complete information at one place. This article is an attempt at fixing that.
How to travel with dog in train in India – complete step-by-step process 2023
Travelling with pets in train in India is a fairly involved process. But you will be fine if you follow the below steps:
- On Indian Railways, pets are only allowed to travel in AC First Class. Check all the trains to your destination and make sure they have First Class coach.
- This is important. Please read this step carefully. First Class train coaches in India have two types of coupe/compartments: 4 seater and a 2 seater. Depending on how many of you are travelling, you will have to divide your booking in multiple tickets. For example, if its 4 of you (other than the pet) then its simple and you can include all the passengers in the same ticket. If it’s three of you(other than the pet), then make two booking – one with 2 passengers and one with 1 passenger. This will ensure that you can get a cabin allotted to your family and there is no other passenger in that cabin.
- Book tickets for all the passengers who will be travelling. At the time of booking, you will not be assigned any seats or allotted a coupe.
- During the booking process, there is no way to indicate that you will be travelling with a pet. This has to be done manually.
- 48 Hours before the departure of train, you will have to visit the Divisional Engineer’s office at the Railway Station from where you will be boarding. This is where it is located in B’lore. You will have to carry a printout of your booking, copy of your Aadhar card, pet health card, a blank paper, and a pen
- Once you are at the Divisional Engineer’s office, ask for a Coupe Allotment form at the reception. You will also have to write an application stating your booking number, PNR number, Train number, Date of Journey etc. In this application, you will mention that you will be travelling with a pet, and hence you should be allotted a separate coupe. Also mention that your pet is fully vaccinated and fit to travel. Here again, pls mention the Booking reference/PNR of the ticket as per Point # 2 above. If it’s 4 passengers, then include that ticket. If its three passengers, then include the ticket which was booked for 2 passengers.
- Person there will ask you to drop this application along with other documents mentioned above in a drop box there.
- Now you have to wait for the reservation chart to be prepared (typically 6 hours before the departure). You will also get an SMS mentioning your cabin number and seat numbers
- Hoping you have been allotted a cabin, let’s move to the next step.
- On the day of the travel, you will be booking a train ticket for your pet. Make sure you reach Railway Station at least a couple of hours before departure time. Make sure to book a pet-friendly taxi to reach the station.
- Train ticket for your pet has to be booked from Parcel Office of the railway station from where you will be boarding. You will have to take your pet there along with all the other documents (booking printout, SMS with cabin allotment info, Pet health card, Vet travel fitness certificate, etc).
- Based on the size/weight of your pet, they will issue a ticket there. You will not be issued a train ticket for your dog, if you don’t have a separate cabin allotted.
- Once you have your pet’s ticket issued, you are all set. Just go to your platform and board your train.
- Make sure to refer the Pet Policy of Indian Railways for any changes in the rules.
What you need to know before travelling by train with your pet
There are certain things you have to do before the travel date.
- Make sure you have a health card for your pet with all the vaccination records
- You will need a travel certificate from your vet which should be issued within 48 hours of the travel time
- Make sure your pet has all the necessary vaccinations and is up-to-date on his/her rabies vaccine
- Make sure you have access to a Pet-friendly taxi or cab for the day of travel. If possible, pre-book it.
- Make sure your pet’s collar/harness, leash and travel crate are in good working order.
- If your pet is not used to peeing or pooping on hard surface, start training him. You will hardly find any platforms with soft or grassy surface.
- Identify all the stations where train stops for more than 5 minutes.
Tips for a safe and smooth journey
Now that you’ve done the hardest part, we will give you some more tips to make your’s and your pet’s journey safe and fun.
- Train travel can be stressful for animals, so make sure he has lots of water available.
- Take along some treats and toys to keep your pet stimulated and happy while travelling.
- Make sure your pet’s collar, leash and travel crate are in good working order.
- If you’re bringing a dog, and if he gets aggressive around other people, make sure he has a muzzle for the journey.
- Make sure your pet has a well-fitting harness that can be properly fastened. This is very important while alighting and boarding train for peeing and pooping at different stations.
- Make sure you carry a stick or danda with you. You and your pet will be surrounded by stray dogs at stations while peeing/pooping. If possible, take someone along whenever you are getting down at a station with your pet
- And remember to take care of your animal while on the train – don’t leave them unattended in a car or on the platform.
- Plan your pets food according to the arrival time of stations where train stops for more than 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pet Train Travel In India
Can I travel with my pet in Indian Railways?
Yes, Indian Railways allows you to carry your pet. You can either book them in luggage compartment or you can carry them with you in AC or Non-AC First Class. Other categories of seats like 2nd AC, 3rd AC do not allow you to carry your pet.
How can I transport my pet in train?
You can carry your pet in a First Class cabin or coupe in train. Once you’ve booked your tickets, you will have to give a written application with pet details asking for a coupe/cabin allotment.
How can I travel with my pet in India?
You can travel with your pet on flight (Air India), Indian Railways, and by road.
Is dog allowed in train in India?
Yes, Indian Railways allows you to carry your pet. You can either book them in luggage compartment or you can carry them with you in AC or Non-AC First Class.
In conclusion, travel with dog in train in India can be a fun and convenient experience. Just make sure to plan ahead and pack everything your pet will need, including food, water, and medication. And don’t forget to have a great time exploring all that India has to offer!
Looking to travel with your pet by flight in India? Check out this detailed information.